Wednesday 25 May 2011

RazorBurn Blues...(and reds,and tiny black lines)

 On Sunday I decided to go ahead with an idea I’d been weighing up for a few days. In order to reverse the roles of 'Macho hairy men' and 'Pretty hairless women’, and the abuse that comes with being the opposite, I shaved off all my body hair. This piece of performance art is accompanied by a spice jar containing the hair once attached to my body and a set of photographs of my hairless body.
 Part of the art is the reaction it evokes. My female feminist friends tell me that the response to them not shaving their body hair tends to be something along the lines of 'EWWWW THATS FUCKING DISGUSTING!!' As WE ALL know, body hair isn’t an unhygienic thing - it minimizes sweat and rash.
This successful piece of art is titled Hairiness is next to Furriness - an adapted quote from The Female Eunuch.

Hairiness if Furiness, Glass, Plastic, Human Hair


RASHBLOG day 1 (Sunday 22/05): Removing my hair with a disposable razor was unbelievably painful. Once finished, I noticed my increased perspiration, so I applied roll on deodorant - woops. It stung like hell!! Although the shave was close, it wasn’t close enough - I’m covered in spiky hairs (its especially painful downstairs...). I cut myself 13 times.
RASHBLOG day 2: When my legs experience too much friction the cuts open again.
RASHBLOG day 3: I'm noticing tiny red spots around the newly grown stubble around my pubis and the tops of my thighs. Some of them are filled with pus - I guess they're infected...
RASHBLOG day 4 (today - Wednesday 25/05): Moving today is painful-really painful. The hair is downstairs is a couple of millimetres long now. I've tried several creams and ointments, nothing helps. I anticipate at least a week of this pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment